In this activity you’ll look at lists of values written by two different groups of students in two different places, then think of what values really matter to you.
You will need the piece of paper you used for the NEW/YOU activity. Turn it over and label each side.
- On the left side at the top, write “Values I Would Add.”
- On the right side at the top, write “My top three values.”
You will also need a pen or pencil.
READ & REFLECT
Values are the big ideas, qualities, or ways of acting that really matter to us. You can see examples below.
Here’s a list of values that were written by a group of 9th grade students at a school in Port au Prince, Haiti. They are in French (the language the speak in school) on the left and in English (the language they study) on the right.
And here are a list of values that 2nd graders in West Philadelphia, USA came up with together:
Here are the two lists side by side. See what’s in common. See what’s different.
- Think of other values you would add.
- Write them on the left side of your paper.
- You can add others as you discuss this with classmates.
- Think about which values really matter to you.
- Write three that really matter to you on the right side of your paper. You can choose from the ones on the lists above and the ones on your paper.
Next comes imagining what could be different in the world in a way that really matters to you–that makes your values come to life. So now we start to DREAM.